This section is to be utilized when the trail is to placed on relatively shallow slopes below 8:1 (12.5%).
In this application, ideal conditions would allow for the trail to be placed in areas of cut, where undisturbed soils can carry the load. However, where cut and fill balance and trail slopes require otherwise, it is critical that all areas of fill have designed compaction requirements and that those requirements are met before trail is placed, compaction requirements to set by design engineer.
- Use this cross section in areas where trail is to be placed on slope less than or equal to 8:1 (12.5%).
- Use this cross section in areas prone to erosion and soil stabilization issues.
- Planting areas should be placed adjacent to trail slope to address erosion control.
- A swale along uphill edge should always be included. Sheet flow of water across the trail should not be permitted.
- Slope modifications to allow for trail no greater than 5% longitudinal slope with max 2% cross slope.
- Balance cut and fill areas when possible.
- Strip existing topsoil for reuse in finished grading.
STANDARD CROSS SECTION
COMPONENTS: Click below for more information on each component.