Based on input from GRG staff, four greenways were identified and inventoried to better understand elements and materials, as well as successes and challenges for each. Each greenway was reviewed by bicycle and a photo inventory was created.
- Busch Greenway
- River des Peres Greenway
- Dardenne Greenway
- St. Vincent Greenway
GRG STAFF WORKSHOPS
A series of staff workshops were held with GRG teams to develop the guidelines over the course of 2017. The workshops consisted of directed discussion and interactive review of guidelines materials.
- Workshop 1: Goals, Objectives, Outreach, engagement and community
- Workshop 2: Discuss standards versus flexibility, challenges and opportunities
- Workshop 3: Review Greenway inventory and standards for base elements
- Workshop 4: Review materials, nodes and furnishings
- Workshop 5: Planting and landscape design guidelines review
STAFF AND COMMUNITY SURVEY
A digital survey was developed to gather input from GRG staff to better understand the focus of GRG’s long term vision for the greenway system. Parts of the survey were also shared with the community for further input.
GREENWAY ADVISORY GROUP
A Greenway Advisory Group was brought together to get public input for the guidelines development. This group consisted of bike/pedestrian advocates.
Parks directors, public works, and facilities management staff were brought together based on geographic regions to discuss the greenways, maintenance and past challenges and successes.
- Meeting 1: St. Charles County, O’Fallon, St. Charles City, St. Peters
- Meeting 2: Florissant, Ferguson, Bridgeton, Maryland Heights
- Meeting 3: Crestwood, Kirkwood, St. Louis County, City of St. Louis, University of Missouri St. Louis
- Meeting 4: Sunset Hills, Chesterfield, Wildwood
- Meeting 5: Clayton, Olivette, Washington University
CONSTRUCTION MANAGER WORKSHOP
Several construction managers actively involved in GRG projects were brought together to discuss constructability, challenges and best practices to incorporate into the greenway designs.
GRG GUIDELINES REVIEW
Through group reviews, GRG staff worked to review and offer final comments on the Design Guidelines.
Designers who have worked or are working on greenway implementations were brought together for an introduction to the design guidelines, and then given a chance to review and offer final comments on the Design Guidelines.