Every five years, Great Rivers Greenway updates our regional plan to prioritize future projects. Throughout 2020-2021, we are updating the plan to also create a long-term approach to address conservation, safety, maintenance, and equity on the greenways.
Over the past year, we have analyzed previous greenway plans in the St. Louis region and similar projects across the country. We are listening to community members, stakeholders, and Great Rivers Greenway staff and Board members to better understand greenway values and priorities throughout the region. Throughout 2021, we will convene workshops with a Community Advisory Committee, Conservation Technical Advisory Committee, and Public Safety Technical Advisory Committee to develop recommendations that will be shared in two community meetings and virtually when we will again seek your input! When complete, the regional plan update will include the following:
- Improved criteria for identifying greenway priorities and community benefits from greenways
- Mapped assessment of the benefits of future greenway segments
- Revised plan of potential future greenway segments
- Recommendations for greenway operations and maintenance
- Recommendations for conservation along greenways
- Recommendations for improving public safety along greenways
- Strategies to incorporate diversity, equity, and inclusion across all regional plan issue areas
We’re a public agency that was formed by a vote of the people in St. Louis City, St. Louis County and St. Charles County in 2000 to connect the region together with greenways. With your help and with many partners, we’re bringing the community’s vision to life – there are 128 miles of greenways and counting for you to enjoy, making this an even more vibrant place to be. Every five years, with your guidance, we update our strategic plan.
So, what’s next? You tell us. Thanks in advance for your collaboration as we envision the next 20 years together.
THANK YOU to the 6,200+ people who took the time to share their thoughts!
20 Years & Counting
Here’s an overview of our First 20 Years – how we got our start and what we’ve worked on over the years – thanks to our many partners and neighbors!
With your collaboration, more and more greenways come to life every year. Click here for a larger map to see what’s built and what’s coming.