This is one of three projects that will close the gap on the St. Vincent Greenway. It will parallel St. Charles Rock Road with a direct connection to the Rock Road Transit Center and St. Vincent County Park. The project is being built in coordination with MoDOT’s St. Charles Rock Road improvements project and will create a safe, accessible shared-use path on the northern side of the road. The project includes multiple traffic safety improvements such as green paint at intersections and new crosswalks.
This 0.83 miles stretch of greenway will extend from the Rock Road Transit Center along St. Charles Rock Rd and turns north at the entry road for St. Vincent County Park where it ties into the existing St. Vincent Greenway.
- Great Rivers Greenway
- Missouri Department of Transportation
- Bi-State Development Agency (Metro)
- St. Louis County Parks
Construction of the new .83 mile stretch of greenway is underway. This work is being completed as part of Missouri Department of Transportation’s improvements to St. Charles Rock Road and in partnership with St. Louis County Parks and Bi-State Development Agency (Metro). Construction is expected to be complete in late 2022.
SUBSCRIBE TO UPDATES ABOUT THIS PROJECT
Complete the form below and we will send you updates about this project.
ABOUT THIS PLACE
Did you know that this section of the St. Vincent Greenway will connect to regionally significant places such as the historic St. Charles Rock Road and St. Vincent County Park? What stories do you know about this place? Share them at www.GreatRiversGreenway.org/ShareYourStory or by calling 314-932-4904.
Many modern roads trace the trails created by Native American people. St. Charles Rock Road was once the overland route used by Missouria, Shawnee, and Osage people traveling between the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. Colonizing settlers used this trail to access Spanish land grants beginning in the late 1700s. The route became a public highway in 1834. Shortly after the Civil War, a hard surface made of compressed layers of stone was built on the road. For over thirty years, an electric streetcar nicknamed “All Saints” because of its numerous cemetery stops ran along St. Charles Rock Road. In 1921, St. Charles Rock Road became the first concrete state highway in St. Louis County.
In the late 1800s, many Catholic institutions were established in this area of North St. Louis County. St. Vincent County Park is in the middle of property once owned by one of those institutions – the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent De Paul. The Catholic institutions left behind large areas of open space that still exist today. The land around the hospital became St. Vincent County Park and opened to the public in 1980. Many of the buildings built by the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent De Paul in the late 1800s such as the former St. Vincent’s Hospital are still visible in and around the park. Today, the former St. Vincent’s Hospital is an apartment building. The nearby MetroLink line was once a Wabash rail line with a stop in front of St. Vincent’s Hospital. Nuns took the train directly from St. Vincent’s Hospital to missions on the west coast and back.