Great Rivers Greenway partners with local organizations to offer volunteer opportunities throughout the region to restore and beautify the greenways.
For already-scheduled events you can plug into, browse our calendar for an upcoming service project near you. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or want to collaborate on a volunteer event to take care of the greenways.
The opportunities we offer fall into three major categories:
- Picking up trash and debris
Let’s keep those greenways, parks, rivers and streams clear of all that garbage! Anyone of any age can participate, although some sites may require kids be age 8 and older if the site conditions are a little tricky.
- Removing invasive plants
We want the habitats along the greenways to be thriving. This often means we need to remove invasive species that don’t belong in Missouri. Your help in getting those plants out of there is critical! Read all about honeysuckle, one of our most common challenges. This is recommended for people ages 12 and up.
- Planting new native trees or shrubs
Again, let’s get those habitats healthy! We welcome help planting trees or shrubs that will thrive in Missouri along the greenways. This is recommended for people ages 8 and up.
Occasionally, we will have other opportunities like painting a storm drain to raise awareness about water quality or spreading mulch at a new site.
With any of these work days:
- We will provide all necessary tools, gloves, materials, water and snacks.
- You bring yourself, clothes and sturdy shoes that can get dirty.
- We recommend bringing your own water bottle, sunscreen or bug spray if applicable, but we’ll have some, too.
- We will provide all instructions about how to accomplish the task and we will send you any specific details for transportation options, parking, weather plans, etc.
- We encourage you to contact us if there are any accommodations that can make your experience successful.