Great Rivers Greenway’s board, staff and steering committee are working with Gladiator Consulting and Practical Diversity Solutions to create an overall Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) plan for our agency. Over the next 9 months, we are working with our board, staff, a steering committee and community members to analyze all of our operations and identify ways to specifically address diversity, equity and inclusion within our work. Here’s why:
MISSION CASE (This is why a DEI plan is good for our mission):
- Build, promote and sustain greenways collaboratively with diversity of community members in an equitable way, such that our process meets people where they are.
- Establish greenways as welcoming, inclusive common ground to enrich lives & bridge communities.
- Ensure tax funds are spent wisely to provide greenway access to all communities, regardless of local capacity.
- Develop greater diversity among staff as hiring allows to become more representative of the communities we serve & develop cultural capability with all staff to enhance our ability to connect.
BUSINESS CASE (This is why a DEI plan is good for our organization’s bottom line):
- Integrate inclusion throughout all projects to become a model for bridging communities to strengthen collaborations, facilitate processes & improve long-term sustainability.
- Develop greater diversity among staff as hiring allows & develop cultural capability with all staff to enhance creativity, gain insight & perspectives, enhance partnerships, improve problem solving & design projects that are better adapted to needs of the communities served.
- Develop staff abilities to apply the DEI lens & tools to reduce risk & achieve directives more effectively & expeditiously.
- Broaden reach & engagement of the region’s taxpayers to deepen their appreciation for the greenway network & build ambassador, volunteer, voter & donor support.
We invite you to be part of this process. Send any feedback or ideas to Emma at email@example.com or call her at (314) 932-4919. Thank you for joining us on a path toward a more equitable St. Louis region.