Join Us For A Pre-Event on March 25, 2017:
Spokes & Saddles: An Illustrated Presentation of the 25th Infantry Bicycle Corp with Wes Hardin & guests
Saturday, March 25th 2-4pm Central Branch, St. Louis Public Library 1301 Olive St. A replica bike will be on site!
Learn more at the St. Louis Public Library’s website, hope to see you there!
Join Us: Saturday, May 6, 2017
All ages welcome to the mighty Mississippi’s banks to experience an exciting and important piece of St. Louis history! Discover the spectacular journey:
Buffalo Soldiers & Bicycles
15th Annual Mary Meachum Celebration
Saturday, May 6, 2017 from 12-5pm
Check out the walking and biking tours before the event!
In 1855 , a free-born black woman, Mary Meachum, believed slavery was wrong and did something about it.
In 1865, slavery ended and brought with it many new beginnings.
In 1897, the Buffalo Soldiers were deployed to travel 1,900 miles across 5 states to test bicycles as vehicles for war.
It took 41 days and a lot of grit. Join us to discover their spectacular journey!
- 10:00 am Mary Meachum Bike Ride & black history tour (meet and finish at the Biddle Street Trailhead)
- 11:00 am Relive Their Journey (walk or ride the trail for 3 miles to get to the festival, start at the Biddle Street Trailhead)
- 12:00 pm Event begins, including entertainment (music, choirs, dance, poetry)
- 1:30 pm Historical dramatic performance
- 2:15pm Choir Competition and other performers (prizes by acclaim)
- 3:15 pm Historical dramatic performance
- 4:00 pm Special guest Ilyasah Shabazz, empowerment mentor, adjunct professor, speaker, author and daughter of Malcolm X
- 4:15 pm Sunset flag ceremony
- 4:30 pm Barn dance
Local art, goods, food & drink for purchase. Games for children, education for all!
Take Highway 70 to Grand Ave: East toward river; North on Hall to Prairie; Right on Prairie to site & parking. Rangers & shuttles can direct you to the event from there!
Interested in selling food or drink, arts or wares at the festival? Contact Angie at (314) 865-0708 or email@example.com. Hope to see you there!
Special thanks to our sponsors and funders for this event:
Great Rivers Greenway
Missouri Division of Tourism
Check out the flyer:
Join Us: Sunday, May 7, 2017
Special Event and FUNDRAISER for the Mary Meachum Celebration:
Book Signing with Ilyasah Shabazz
Sunday, May 7, 2017 from 2-4pm complimentary refreshments
Schlafly Branch, St. Louis Public Library 225 N. Euclid.
$25 to attend, bring own book to get signed
$50 for VIP reception from 2-2:30pm, includes signed copy of X: A Novel